Graphic Design Print Technology
Associates in Applied Science in Business Management, State Fair Community College
Bachelor of Applied Science in Technology Management, Missouri State University
Master of Science in CTE Teaching Leadership, University of Central Missouri
The Graphic Design Print Technology program is a two-year program, which studies the various career paths in the graphics industry. This can include the study of digital photography, screen-printing, vinyl sign-making, vinyl applications, embroidery, advertising design, and 3-D modeling and laser printing/engraving. Students work in an environment much like a design company, where they are assigned projects that will challenge and enhance their skills and portfolios. Copyright and business ethics are stressed in the Graphic Arts program. Participation in the intra-curricular program SkillsUSA is encouraged. Students interested in enrolling in the photography portion of the class would greatly benefit from a basic knowledge of PhotoShop.
- Use software programs aligned specifically with industry standards in the field of graphic design such as Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, and Quark.
- Gain an understanding of the history of print and typography as it pertains to the field of graphic design.
- Complete projects individually and in groups that will enhance the skills learned in the various programs.
- To prepare students for college and career readiness by encouraging responsibility for learning and completing tasks on time.
- Show proficiency using the MAC operating system, including file storage and retrieval and manipulation.
- Students will be active participants in the intra-curricular career and technical organization, SkillsUSA. Through participation in this organization, students: prepare themselves to be America’s high performance workers, experience quality education experiences for students in leadership, teamwork, citizenship and character development.
OTC: 4, GDT105: Graphic Design I
JWCC: 3, ART136, Graphic Design I
SkillsUSA Advertising and Design Proficiency Assessment
Employment in the Graphic Design and Print field is extremely diverse. Many designers are self-employed or freelance their work through the internet. Careers include, but are not limited to, Floral Design, Culinary Arts, Photography, Marketing and Ad Design Executives, based on the level of education obtained. Because of the diversity of the industry there are great opportunities for employment for individuals possessing the skills obtained in this course. Depending on the area and nature of work salaries range between $32,000 – $85,000 per year.
Typesetter Marketing managers*
Social Media Marketing*
*more training require